WELCOME TO PTY

pty
Price T. Young
Elementary School

 1501 Sanford St.
Marshall, TX 75671
903-927-8850
903-927-8888 (fax)
Welcome to Price T. Young Elementary School! We are so excited to begin the 2017-2018 school year in our new facility, with our new school community! Please feel free to visit us and see what we are doing to help make Marshall ISD "Marshall Proud and Maverick Strong!"
Student Code of Conduct
District Academic Calendar
Online Lunch Payments
Family Access Portal

 

PTY MENUS

PARENTS: You may now manage your student's lunch payment account online! Click here for more details.

The mission of the Marshall Independent School District Child Nutrition Department is to ensure that every child in the district has access to a healthy, nutritious breakfast and lunch. MISD strives to provide meals that will appeal to the taste as well as the health of our students. It is our goal, every day, to never have a MISD student leave our schools hungry. All of our meals meet nutritional guidelines as set forth by the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).

*NOTE: Weekly campus menus are posted here in this space during the school year.


WE ARE PTY

adams peguesMs. Nakeisha Adams Pegues is in her first year as Principal of Price T. Young Elementary School. Ms. Adams Pegues was Principal at J.H. Moore Elementary in Marshall for one year (2016-2017) prior to becoming principal at PTY. Ms. Adams Pegues began her career as a fifth-grade teacher at Sam Houston Middle School in MISD from 2005-2008 before joining Longview ISD as a fifth-grade Science teacher at Bramlette Elementary in 2008-2013. She served as Curriculum Support teacher at Bramlette from 2013-2015, when she then came back to Marshall as Assistant Principal at J.H. Moore for the 2015-2016 school year. Ms. Adams Pegues holds a Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies from UT-Arlington, and a Masters of Education in Educational Leadership with Principal Certification from UT-Tyler.

pt young
 Mr. Price T. Young
was a Marshall educator whose career spanned 45 years in Marshall. The son of Mr. and Mrs. C.H. Young of Oklahoma City, Okla., he was born November 10, 1906, and held degrees from Wiley College and Columbia University. A former Science teacher at Pemberton High School, he became the second Principal of the M.W. Dogan Elementary School from 1949 until 1964, when he became Principal of Pemberton Junior High School. He remained Principal at Pemberton Junior High until his death in 1975. All of the schools where Mr. Young served in his career in Marshall served African-American children on the west side of Marshall. Mr. Young was active in professional, civic and church organizations, and his influence extended beyond local education matters through his service on the board of Region 7 Education Service Center. He passed away on March 8, 1975, and his local esteem was such that Pemberton Junior High -- where he was still serving as Principal -- was renamed for him following his death. Mr. Young and his wife, Jewel, are buried in Marshall.
pty msPrice. T. Young Junior High originally housed students in grades 7-8 that formerly attended Pemberton High School. In 1971, Pemberton Junior High was made into an all-seventh grade school. The school was renamed following the death of Mr. Young, who was serving as Principal, in 1975. When MISD was reorganized in 1981, Price T. Young became one of two middle schools in MISD serving students in grades 5-6 and was renamed Price T. Young Middle School. The school was closed and the original building demolished following the opening of Price T. Young Elementary School on the current site, as part of MISD's Legacy 2017 building program.

pty: building a legacy

pty elementaryPRICE T. YOUNG ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
The new Price T. Young Elementary School opened in August of 2017 as one of three new elementary schools and a renovated facility to serve Marshall ISD students in grades K-5. The project was part of the Legacy 2017 building program born out of the passage of a $109,200,000.00 bond issue approved by MISD voters in May 2015. The new school was constructed on the site of the old Price T. Young Middle School, which was closed following the 2016-2017 school year with the old building set to be demolished after the opening of the new school. Huckabee, Inc., served as the architect for the Legacy 2017 building program, with WRL General Contractors, Ltd., serving as the general contractor for PTY Elementary. Project Manager for the Legacy 2017 building program was Lockwood, Andrews & Newnam, Inc. (LAN), of Houston, Texas.

jh mooreJ.H. MOORE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
In 1902, Professor J.H. Moore secured permission from the school board to organize an elementary school in the northwest part of Marshall. Classes were held on the lower floor of the Odd Fellows Hall on West Grand Avenue. A brick building, known as Park Elementary, opened January 5, 1903. Mr. Moore remained as Principal until 1925, when he was transferred to Hillside School and was succeeded by L.E. Thompson. Under Mr. Thompson, a new auditorium, two additional classrooms and four more rooms were added to the main building. Upon Mr. Thompson's retirement in 1950, P.E. Moon was transferred from Pemberton High School to serve as Principal of Park. He remained until it closed in 1954, at which time students were transferred to a new campus. During the administration of Superintendent V.H. Hackney, an expansion program for Marshall Public Schools began. As a result, in 1953 a new site was purchased at Norwood and Cooper streets, and a school building was erected. The name J.H. Moore Elementary was selected because of Mr. Moore's humanitarian acts during 48 years as an educator. The new school opened September 12, 1954. J.H. Moore Elementary served students in grades K-4 until the 2016-2017 school year, when the school was closed and consolidated into the new Price T. Young Elementary as part of the MISD Legacy 2017 building program.

gwcGEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
George Washington Carver Elementary School, located on Holland Street just west of Price T. Young Elementary, began holding classes on September 2, 1959, when students were transferred from New Town Elementary School. New Town had been closed in 1949, reopened in 1950 to accept students from county schools, and closed again in 1959. The first Principal at Carver, Mr. O. Ivan White, supervised 14 classroom teachers and a music teacher in grades 1-7. In the spring of 1969, the school was to be renovated for use as an educational building for central staff but those plans were abandoned when Stephen F. Austin Elementary School burned in the summer of 1969. The school was named Austin/Carver Elementary School after the fire, and in 1970 was paired with Dogan Elementary School with grades 1-3 attending Austin/Carver and 4-6 attending Dogan. After a reorganization of MISD schools in 1981, "Austin" was dropped from the school's name and was once again known as G.W. Carver Elementary School. At that time, Carver was paired with William B. Travis Elementary School and began housing grades 3-4, Early Childhood, and Special Education. In 1989-90, the school was reorganized as Carver Academy, a magnet school attracting academically-gifted and artistically-talented students in grades 1-4 from across the city. Children in the immediate neighborhood continued to attend Carver in the regular program. In 1997-98, the magnet school concept was discontinued and the program for gifted students returned to individual MISD campuses. Carver Elementary was closed following the end of the 2016-2017 school year, when it consolidated into the new Price T. Young Elementary school as part of MISD's Legacy 2017 building program.

See more of our Areas of Legacy commemorated in our new Price T. Young Elementary School here.
together

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.