Our Legacy

pty
Marshall ISD voters approved a $109,210,000 bond issue in May of 2015 which funds the construction of new schools, renovations and grade level realignment.

With the consolidation of our schools, we think it is important to enter this new era of public education in Marshall while also never forgetting the legacy of our past. The consolidation of schools does not mean we are erasing our history. In fact, we believe these new school buildings can be lasting monuments to the schools, people and events that have served to mold Marshall students since public education began locally before the turn of the 20th century.

It is our desire to incorporate as many memories and monuments into these new facilities as we can from our closing schools. This is not an end, but rather, a new beginning. Marshall ISD has been fortunate to include many hard-working educators who have left a trail for us to follow in serving Marshall’s children in our schools. It is our goal to remember as many of these as possible, along with all of our past school communities, with the opening of our new buildings.

BUILDING A LEGACY does not primarily focus solely on the future of our schools; it is a constant continuation and merging of the past, present AND future. We hope these ideas are not seen as a good-bye to the school communities of our past, but rather a new future built on the hard work and effort of our students, staff and community throughout our history.

marshallCATHY MARSHALL ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES
Mrs. Cathy Marshall served a record 17 years as principal of Price T. Young Middle School. Mrs. Marshall moved to Marshall in 1978 from her home state of Georgia, and she was named the principal at PTY in 1989. Mrs. Marshall’s dedication to students was born out of a lifelong commitment to faith, family and a love for education. Born and raised in Georgia, she attended Baylor University where she received a Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education. She also earned a Masters in Curriculum and Instruction and Mid-Management Certification from Stephen F. Austin State University. During her time as principal, Price T. Young was a “Recognized” campus by the Texas Education Agency and she earned a total of $90,000 for PTY from the T.E.A. Texas Successful School program. PTY also earned a state PE award under her leadership. Mrs. Marshall was elected to serve on the Marshall ISD Board of Trustees in 2010, and she was on the board during the passage of the Legacy 2017 bond program in May of 2015 which ultimately created what is now Price T. Young Elementary School. 

jh mooreJ.H. MOORE LEARNING CENTER
In 1902, Professor J.H. Moore secured permission from the school board to organize an elementary school in the northwest part of Marshall. The new brick building was named Park School. In 1910, largely through the efforts of Mr. Moore, the first school water fountains in Marshall were installed at Park School. In 1919, the first playground was erected through his leadership and efforts. Park School began to outgrow the building which forced Mr. Moore to secure free, added space in the old Masonic Hall across the street from the school. During the early days of the school, he added curriculum that included clay modeling, needlework, public school music and physical education. Mr. Moore remained as principal at Park School until 1925, when he was transferred to serve as principal at Hillside School. During the administration of Superintendent V.H. Hackney, an expansion program for Marshall Public Schools began. As a result, a new site for a school as purchased at the corner of Norwood and Cooper streets in northwest Marshall. This new school was named J.H. Moore Elementary in recognition and in honor of Mr. Moore’s humanitarian acts of leadership during his 48 years as an educator in Marshall. J.H. Moore Elementary opened on Sept. 12, 1954, and served the students of northwest Marshall until it closed at the end of the 2017-2018 school year due to the opening of the new Price T. Young Elementary School.

COACH MICHELLE VAN DYKE GYMNASIUM
Coach Michelle Van Dyke graduated from East Texas Baptist University in 1988 after a Hall of Fame college basketball career with the Lady Tigers. After graduation she took her first teaching position as a Physical Education coach at Robert E. Lee Elementary, where she served Marshall students for five years. She then became the P.E. teacher at J.H. Moore Elementary following her time at Lee, and she served in that capacity for the next 24 years until J.H. Moore closed due to the opening of the new Price T. Young Elementary. As of the opening of the new PTY, Coach Van Dyke had taught P.E. in Marshall ISD for nearly 30 years and was continuing to do so with the opening of the Legacy 2017 schools. During that time she touched the lives of countless Marshall children at both Moore and Lee schools, displaying a commitment and genuine love for children and their well-being as much as anyone who ever served the students of Marshall ISD.

carverCARVER HALLWAY
George Washington Carver Elementary School was located on Holland Street in west Marshall, about a half-mile from present-day Price T. Young Elementary. Carver opened and began holding classes on Sept. 2, 1959, when students were transferred from New Town Elementary School after it closed in 1959. In the spring of 1969 the school was to be renovated for use as an educational building for central staff, but those plans were abandoned when Stephen F. Austin Elementary burned in the summer of 1969. In 1970, Austin/Carver and Dogan schools were paired, with grades 1-3 assigned to Carver and grades 4-6 to Dogan. In 1972, a six-room wing was added for kindergarten, special education and music classes. After a reorganization of MISD schools in 1981, “Austin” was dropped from the school’s name and it was once again called G.W. Carver Elementary School. At that time, Carver was paired with Travis Elementary School and began housing grades 3-4, early childhood and special education. In 1989-90 the school as reorganized as Carver Academy, a magnet school attracting academically-gifted and artistically-talented students in grades 1-4 from across the city. Children from the immediate neighborhood continued to attend Carver in the regular program, and kindergarten students from the Carver zone began attending Washington Early Childhood Center. In 1997-98, the magnet school concept was discontinued and the program for gifted elementary students returned to the individual MISD campuses. Carver Academy once again became Carver Elementary, and Head Start program classes were taught at the school from 1999-2002. With the passage of the Legacy 2017 bond program in May of 2015, Carver was closed down as an elementary school and its students are now a lasting legacy along with students from the old J.H. Moore Elementary School as part of the newly consolidated Price T. Young Elementary in Marshall ISD.

doganDOGAN HALLWAY
In the beginning, M.W. Dogan Elementary School served African-American students in Marshall beginning with the opening of the school in 1949. The school was named in honor of Wiley College president, M.W. Dogan. The original building had 10 classrooms, and was built to replace the New Town School that dated back to 1916. Mr. W. J. White, who had been principal at New Town, was the first principal at the new Dogan Elementary but he died before his first term ended. Price T. Young succeeded White and served Dogan as principal for many years. The school remained in operation through the era of integration until it closed in 1981 during a reorganization of Marshall ISD. The building was sold and is now privately owned, and its location within the “New Town Neighborhood” has historic significance to Marshall’s African-American community.

newtownNEW TOWN HALLWAY
New Town Elementary School was located on the corner of Coe Street and University Avenue in west Marshall, and was built to serve African-American students in the neighborhood at that time. The school opened in 1911, with Mrs. E.E. Mitchell serving as principal. Mrs. Mitchell was followed by Mrs. D.E. Williams, who served as principal for eight years before W. J. White was appointed the school’s leader in 1920. The school was a two-story brick building that was quite an upgrade over the churches which had previously doubled as school houses for African-American children. New Town opened with three teachers, but gradually grew into seven teachers serving some 80 to 90 students in those early days. New Town remained as an educational facility for African-Americans in west Marshall until 1949, when Dogan Elementary opened. At that time, New Town was closed and its students transferred to Dogan.

parkPARK HALLWAY
Park School was an early elementary school for African-American children in Marshall, located at 600 Park Street. In 1902, local educator J.H. Moore was authorized by the school board to organize an elementary school for northwest Marshall. Classes began in the Odd Fellows Hall on West Grand Avenue before moving to a new brick building on Park Street on Jan. 5, 1903. In 1910, water fountains were installed at Park School through the efforts of Mr. Moore. These were the first water fountains installed in Marshall schools. In 1919, the city’s first school playground was erected at Park School. Early curriculum at the school included clay modeling, needle work, public school music and physical education. Mr. Moore served as principal at Park School for 22 years and was succeeded by L.E. Thompson. During Thompson’s leadership, two additional classrooms, an auditorium, and four more rooms were added. P. E. Moon became the third principal in 1950, remaining there until the school was closed in 1954. A new campus, named J.H. Moore Elementary, opened on September 12, 195, at the corner of Norwood and Cooper streets. This new school replaced Park Elementary, and the old campus was torn down and no longer exists.

LEGACY



Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.